Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break

So back from New Orleans, so I thought I would let everyone know what that was like. Let me first say that it was quit humbling just to drive into town and still see many houses destroyed or gutted out. It really puts katrina into perspective when you look at a house and see in person the picture of the X that they put on the houses that let you know when they went through it, how many pets died in the house and how many people were found dead in the house. Quite sobering, also while down town under an underpass at the interstate there were these tent communities that people were living in, it was crazy.
Now on the bright side we worked with lutheran disaster services, what a great organization, well organized and the food was amazing. My work group was assigned to a guy by the name of Kevin George, Kevin told us that he stayed on the second floor of his house for 13 days while the coast guard dropped off water and mre's to eat. Talk about some will power, he told us he would close his eyes and image his favorite resturuant while eating those meals. We built him a privacy fence. For me it was great because I felt like I learned how to do something. I also was able to hang some drywall, talk about a patience builder.
While down there spiritually I think the Lord really taught me patience, as well as a greater desire to truly seek him and the truth of his word, not sure how why or how this came out of a trip like no other I have been on, but through our small groups it was revealed to me that many of us, myself often times included, often times are waiting on God to prompt me or give me a feeling, rather than myself to truly go after Christ without question. Instead of waiting on God it's about opening the eyes of my heart to see that he is already there, I just have to reach out and open my eyes. Hope all is well with those of you who read this.

1 comment:

MTR said...

Dean-O -

Am going to link your blog to mine, so keep updating it regularly (at least a couple times/week) and more people will read and comment on it.